Tabassum Mughal's Exclusive Interview with Fashion Central
Tabassum Mughal is one of the most outstanding fashion designers of Pakistan, who has got all the guts to play with colors and designs to create wonderfully exquisite and versatile outfits that never fail to capture the attention of fashion conscious young women.
1. Please share with us your career profile.
I did Masters in Business Administration (MBA) but I was more inclined towards the world of art that led me to become a fashion designer. I am mostly self-trained. I began by designing evening prom gowns for my friends and wedding dresses for close family members. I opened my first atelier in 2008.
2. The business cycle is not easy to endure, especially for newcomers. Can you name a Guru who guided you?
My mom is the woman behind my success and she is the one who guided me throughout my journey. Without her I wouldn’t have been where I am.
3. How do you choose the fabrics and related accessories?
Romanticism and feminism are the dominant aspects of my designs. There’s always a hint of feminine allure, sensuality and elegance in my dresses. I use accessories that enhance feminine qualities such as lace, pearls, crystal and silk threads. My wedding dresses are completely embroidered with opaque crystals and meters of precious fabrics making it a royal silhouette. I always choose fabrics & accessories keeping in mind the trends and tastes of the customers.
4. When you see your dresses looking good on an individual, how do you feel?
I make sure my silhouette always have a WOW effect or I rather don’t make anything. I want my client to look royal Feel like a queen! It just makes me feel out of the world!
5. In case of a dissatisfied customer, do you accept criticism; ever lose your temper?
I accept I accept! & give up but I really don’t remember any unsatisfied customer!
6. Please share with us the highs and lows of your commercial career. What thrills you?
Well since I came in I had a hard time because when you are new you are in learning phase and still I am learning but the initial phases are difficult for you but once you get the hang of it life becomes easier and you can’t live without it any more. Creating new and exciting designs for new season thrills me
7. Pakistan made textiles; do you accept the quality of the cloth?
Pakistan has always had an A class fabric and have been exporting to many countries for many many years now specially the cotton. I have seen many qualities of cotton around the world but Pakistani cotton is one of the best ones in the world. In other materials like chiffons and silk China is doing better than us so we are usually importing Chinese chiffons and silks that are the best till now.
1. Your competitors in business, are they a threat?
No! I would say competition is healthy and that helps in bringing best out of best design & quality in best prices & they keep us on our toes working hard!
2. Do you like people as team members?
Yes! I always make sure to listen to my employees’ point of view which can be of great benefit to my company.
3. Ever consider changing your line of business?
No not completely but I would want to add product extensions later on like prêt line, mens’ line, kids & accessories.
4. Are you training people eager to learn?
Mostly yes! But it’s very hard at times because the Blue collar labor are not willing to learn they just want to do the job and go home they are very hard to mold and train. On the other hand my administrative staff is keen in learning. We are training them to use different software which would help us be more efficient and cost effective in our manufacturing.
1. How do you see your work, five years from now?
5 years from now I see myself internationally recognized.
2. The current state of economy, Is it bothering your plans?
Yes for sure! But I would rather say the political conditions of our economy are more bothersome.
3. Pakistan’s image abroad, certainly top designers like you can help to improve it.
Yes! And internationally people love Pakistani designers work over the Indian designers now and when people abroad see our international shows people are just amazed and say that Pakistan has so much more than terrorism, killings etc. People are paying a good premium for our clothes because of the best quality and designs.