While enjoying manicure and pedicure sessions, donâ€™t forget to ensure the hygiene issues to protect yourself from severe nail problems.
Are you taking good care of your nails? Here's what you need to know to keep your fingernails in tiptop shape.
Take a close look at your fingernails. Are they robust and healthy-looking? Or do you notice ridges, dents, or abnormal color? Several nail problems can be prevented through fingernail care. We discuss here situations that need attention.
Fingernails: What's normal, what's not
The fingernails are made up of laminated layers of a protein called keratin. These emerge from the base area of the nail under the cuticle. Please keep in mind that healthy finger nails give a smooth look and there is no existence of pits or grooms. Color uniformity is visible and the look is consistent.
There is a tendency for the nails to develop harmless vertical ridges. These run from the cuticle to the tip of the nail. As for the Vertical ridges, they tend to become more noticeable with age. White lines also start showing along with spots which is due to injury. However these eventually grow out with the nail.
At times quite a few conditions are not normal and it is recommended that one should consult a doctor if the following are noticed.
Changes in nail color, such as discoloration of the entire nail or a dark streak under the nail
- If the nails look curled
- Bleeding around the nails
- Nails looking too thick or too thin
- Swelling or pain around the nails
- Nails get separated from the surrounding skin
Fingernail care: Do's and don'ts
To make your finger nails look neat and in best condition follow the guidelines below:
- The fingernails should be kept dry and clean. Through this action bacteria is prevented from growing under your fingernails. Too much contact with water can cause split fingernails. Wear cotton-lined rubber gloves when washing dishes, cleaning or using harsh chemicals.
- Good nail hygiene must become a normal routine. It is necessary to use a sharp manicure scissors or clippers. When trimming of nails is done it must be straight across. Also round the tips in a gentle curve.
- It is good to use hand lotion. One should rub the lotion into the fingernails and cuticles, too.
- Apply a protective layer. Applying a nail hardener might help strengthen nails.
- The Doctors advice must be sought about biotin. Based on research it is recommended that the nutritional supplement biotin adds to the strength of the fingernails.