Eye Twitching:Eye twitching is a common term for unintentional shuddering of eyelid. The frequency and type (nearly close or fully close) depends upon different reasons. The article briefly discusses various causes, symptoms and treatment of eye twitching to give a general idea.
Generally what cause eye twitching are stress, fatigue and Caffeine. Usually Eye Twitching lasts for a couple of days or maximum a week and it disappears unnoticed. It happens occasionally but most people find it really annoying and want to get rid of it.
Symptoms:Constant uncontrollable eye twitching is obviously the biggest symptom but beside this you may get blurry vision and sensitive to light.
Treatment:Most of the times eye twitching disappears unnoticed however following actions may help.
- Quit smoking and take less of caffeine.
- Sleep properly.
- Use eye drops for lubrication (after consulting some physician).
- In severe cases minor dose of Botulinum Toxin injection provides temporary relief from eye twitching.
OutlookPrognosis of eye twitching depends upon the severity and type but usually it stops within a week.
Complications are very rare due to eye twitching but in extreme scenario permanent eye injury can occur.
Time to contact Doctor?In following situations it is advisable to contact medical professional (optometrist, ophthalmologist or primary care doctor).
- If eye twitching does not go in a week.
- Your eyelids are completely closed due to eye twitching.
- If you notice some swelling, redness or fluids discharge from eyes.
- Twitching is felt on other parts of your face.
- Upper eyelid is dropping.